Friday 3 April 2015

The Case Of The Footpath Murderer IV: The Truth Unfolds

Chapter IV

Part 1
“Divya, where were you between 2:30 to 3:30 am?” Aryan’s glowering eyes could almost act like a truth serum. Today, he was a lion on the prowl and his prey sat whimpering under the bright tungsten bulb. The rest of the room was eerily dark and the bright light fell into Divya’s brown eyes – making her look all the more fragile, all the more vulnerable.

“I told you sir, I was feeling too claustrophobic inside. I’d stepped out for some fresh air.” Divya’s voice was dripping with exaggerated sweetness.
“Oh really? Or had you gone off on your own to meet Jay?”
“You know that we had broken up. Why do you keep reminding me of it all?” Her eyes were brimming with tears and she was close to a nervous breakdown.

“And why did you’ll break up?”

“Because I wasn’t the one for him! In fact no girl could ever be the one for him....”

“You realized that he’s gay... You must be hurt.”

“Yes, I was hurt, frustrated, angry, may be even jealous! I didn’t know how to react. I couldn’t even tell anyone! What would I say? The guy I was with since 2 years is gay? I’d become a laughingstock!”

“You’re quite right. You were angry and frustrated with your ex boyfriend. You couldn’t digest the sudden change in his preference and you couldn’t handle your anger. That, my girl, is motive for murder.”

“Sir, please... I loved him a lot. I’d never dream of hurting him...”
Before Divya could continue, Aryan got a text message. He frowned and strode out of the room, signalling Shlok to put her into 24 hour custody.



Shlok was quietly chuckling to himself as he realised that Harshil is one of the few people who could make Aryan uncomfortable. In baby pink shirt and crème trousers, Harshil sat opposite Aryan in his office, one leg crossed over another. He was fidgeting with his phone and he couldn’t help but look at Aryan from head to toe when the latter strode into the office.

This is the first time that Aryan felt that he was being looked at (or checked out) by anyone so blatantly and openly in his own office! For some reason he couldn’t make eye contact with Harshil and evaluating him was out of the question. But Aryan somehow brought himself to begin the conversation.

“You weren’t at any music concert. You’d gone to Delhi to attend an L.G.B.T. rally. Why’d you lie?”

I...didn’t lie. My parents lied. I have no reason to hide my choices. But I flew down as soon as mom told me about Jay.” He was almost about to cry. “Sir, what happened? I... I can’t believe all of this.” His crying had now turned into a sob.

“You need to tell us everything about that night. I think we have our killer in custody. I can’t tell you the name but your account will only help us make our case stronger.” Aryan wanted Harshil to trust him completely.

“Sir, that night, we’d met up to play a few games and... just chill, you know. But Jay had been very quiet. He’d just broken up, on his birthday, and Divya had been acting like a bitch ever since. She didn’t even tell him why... And, well... I tried consoling him up, but he suddenly decided to go back home. And just like that, he left.”

“Harshil... We know that you and Jay were, eh... partners. You don’t need to hide anything from us. And if in case you have to speak up in court, you just have to say that you’re celibate. No one will...”

Harshil suddenly got very flustered and confused. “One second. Jay and I. No! Jay was straight! Sir, we were just best friends. Just cos I am close to a guy it doesn’t mean that he’s my boyfriend!”

Now it was Aryan’s turn to be bewildered. “What? No! Jay was gay! Everyone knows that and you don’t need to hide it. It’s alri....”

“Look. I KNOW that he was not gay.” After a moment’s hesitation, Harshil continued, “That night, I made a move on him. I shouldn’t have, but for some reason I thought that I’d been receiving some... umm... signals from his end.” Harshil went on to blabber rather quickly, “And he got pissed off and disgusted with me. I broke his trust. I mean, we’d been friends since we were kids and there was this phase when I liked him. But, I’d never touched him. And that night... How could I have done that to him!” He broke down as tears streamed down his face and he sobbed on uncontrollably.

As Shlok handed him a glass of water, Aryan just had one thing on his mind – If Jay wasn’t gay, why did Divya leave him? And why would she lie about it in spite of knowing that she would be caught the day Harshil returned?



Aryan closed the door with a loud bang as he entered the interrogation room. Divya had been crying and now she seemed to be scared out of her wits. Her eyes had become puffy and her mascara smeared onto her face as she looked wide eyed at Aryan.

“You lied. You fucking lied to me. Harshil is back. Your game is over. Now tell me why the fuck did you break up with Jay Shah or else I swear you’re going down so bad that the best lawyer in town won’t be able to save your sorry little ass.”

“I... I DIDNT LIE! I’m tired of this. I didn’t lie. I didn’t lie to you. I told you everything and you’re still here shouting at me and I don’t know what to do! I didn’t lie!” She was almost hysterical.

“Really? Then tell me what made you think that Jay is gay?” Aryan sneered.

“I didn’t think. I knew that he was gay. Jay's brother Kevin told me. And after all the attention that he always gave Harshil, I... knew that it had to be true.”

Aryan’s face altered as realization hit him. Of course! How could he have been so blind! The very first time when Kevin had looked into his eyes, he should’ve known that the only time when a person with such low self confidence attempts to make eye contact, is when he’s trying to convince a lie. It was now crystal clear. The killer, the motive, the anger with which Jay was stabbed. Yes it was all clear now. He just needed to press the right buttons and he knew that he’d have a confession in his hand by the end of the day.


Part 2
The tension in the room was evident. Kevin sat in front of Aryan like a kid who had just received detention. The parents stood a few feet behind him. They looked grave, broken, and tired. It was a family that had lost the most beloved member, and it was about to lose another.

Aryan was very much at ease. He had finally laid down all the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle. “So, Kevin, why did you hate your brother?”

The shock on Kevin’s face was evident. However, he didn't utter a word.

“Tell me you piece of shit. Was it because mommy and daddy didn't like their dyslexic younger son? Or was it cos they liked the elder one a little bit too much?”

Kevin didn’t move a muscle. He continued to stare at the floor.

“TELL ME!” Aryan roared

At that very instant tears rolled down Kevin’s cheek.

“Oh fantastic. You’re a little cry baby! You know what Kevin. You’re pathetic! Your parents are right. You’re of no use to anybody! They should’ve left you at a fucked up orphanage the day you were born. A mistake baby! That’s who you are!” Aryan was now laughing. His uncontrollable guffaw rang through the room – torturing Kevin, instigating him to speak up.

“No! No no no.... I didn’t...” Kevin was at his wits end.

“Yes you did! Look at me! You killed your brother! You, Kevin, YOU let your family down. They’re going to hate you for this. They’re never going to forgive you! Everyone is going to tell your mommy and daddy that this retarded good for nothing son killed his brother!”

Before Mr. Manish could intervene, Kevin screamed out “Yes I hated Jay! I hated him because he was perfect and I was the pathetic loser. I hated him so much that I made up stories about him. Yes I lied! I went around telling everyone that he’s gay when he wasn’t! I told everyone... Harshil, Divya, a few of his friends, you, and even dad! But that’s all. I didn’t kill him! Please sir, please... I didn’t kill my brother.”


Kevin’s words came as a shock to almost everyone in the room. Aryan’s gaze shifted to Manish. The father had slumped down to the ground, his head in his hands, eyes brimming with tears, his face full of shock, astonishment, remorse, and... guilt. 

(The Final Chapter will be online in 48 hours)

No comments:

Post a Comment